Samantha Gambles Farr
President of San Diego Black Nurses Association
Samantha Gambles Farr is a Board-Certified Family Nurse Practitioner with a career in nursing for over 20 years. Her specialties include surgical, cardiothoracic, neuro-critical intensive care and those critically injured in traumas.
She currently works as the Surgical Intensive Care Nurse Practitioner for UC San Diego Health in the Department of Trauma, Burns, Surgical Critical Care and Acute Care Surgery. Ms. Farr has also worked at several prestigious hospitals including Loma Linda University Medical Center and Stanford Healthcare. In addition to working in various ICUs, Samantha is a Registered Nurse First Assist and retains certification to assist surgeons in the operating room. In addition, she works as Clinical Faculty at the Hahn School of Nursing for the University of San Diego. In an effort to further her education, she continues her journey to obtain a Doctorate of Nursing Practice with post Masters Adult Gerontology- Acute Care Specialty from University of Arizona. Upon graduation in 2020, she will become a double board certified, doctoral prepared Nurse Practitioner with certification in acute care and family management.She is very active in her professional and personal volunteer activities:
- Past President for California Association for Nurse Practitioners: North County Chapter
- Health Policy & Practice Committee member for California Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Immediate past Member-At-Large (2017-2019) for Society of Critical Care Medicine on the Nursing Steering Committee
- Recipient of Presidential Citation 2018 for Society of Critical Care Medicine
- 2018 Advance Practice Nurse of the Year Award for the National Black Nurses Association, Inc
- Current Health Policy Chair of the North County San Diego NAACP Chapter
- Honored as a Recipient of the Distinguished Woman Award for community service
- Member of Neuro-Critical Care Association
- Member of National Nursing Honor Society: Sigma Theta Tau/ Beta Mu Chapter
- Member of the National Leadership Honor Society: Omicron Delta Kappa
- Advisory Board Member of The Sepsis Coalition for 2016-2017
- A member of North County African American Women’s Association
- Mentor for Becoming A Global Citizen, a mentoring program for middle school girls
- A member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.- Psi Tau Zeta Chapter, North County San Diego Chapter
- Interface~ main focus of the mission trips is to provide cleft lip/palate and other plastic reconstructive surgeries to under-served children and adults internationally
With multiple research projects, research poster and presentations, book contributions Samantha remains busy educating others in nursing and public forums with invited podium educational presentations. Her mission is to provided evidence based care to all she has the privilege to care while providing mentorship to others interested in all levels of medicine and nursing.
She also has a daughter Kai who lives in Rome, Italy and is completing her degree in International Business with a focus on fashion.